I am so excited to share with you a few new ministries that Thunder Mountain is facilitating! Our heart is to reach out, touch lives, and grow people to know, love and serve Jesus. One way we do this is through local outreach. Over the last couple of months, I (Caitlin) have been working with a few emerging leaders in the church to establish new ways we can serve the community.
Life Care Center Ministry is a new opportunity for people in the church to serve the elderly living in assisted care facilities. In this case, we are currently partnering with Life Care Center, a local rehabilitation center, to do this. Our kick off was in December when we made gingerbread houses with the residents and painted ladies’ nails. We had a blast! We will be scheduling activities monthly for individuals and families to participate in as desired. Here are our upcoming scheduled events that you can participate in:
- April 11th at 1:30pm – Ice cream social
- April 13th at 9:30am – Building bird seed molds
- April 20th at 9:30am – Easter egg coloring
- May 11th at 2:00pm – Mother’s day weekend Luncheon
- May 18th at 9:30am – Horse racing
- June 15th at 2:00pm – Father’s day weekend backyard BBQ
- June 22nd at 9:30am – Patriotic Celebration
You also have the opportunity to “adopt a grandparent.” This means visiting a resident regularly on your own schedule as a way to provide emotional support and a sense of family for residents who don’t have a family of their own. Another way we can serve Life Care Center is by blessing the staff. Our hope is to bless those who are regularly caring for the residents and have the most time and influence on them. Being able to uplift a staff member by providing goodie baskets can have a positive impact both on the members and the staff. If you would like to find out more about serving in this ministry please contact Annie Ohlde at .
Covered With Love is an amazing ministry started by one of Thunder Mountain’s attendees, Suzanne Parker, as a way to care for children and victims of violent crime. The mission is to meet the basic needs of those we serve at a critical time of need and to ensure that they know they are valued and cared about. This is done by making comfort blankets and care packages for local organizations, Lori’s Place, Care Net, and Forgach House. Many children and victims are coming out of an unsafe environment and these blankets provide comfort, while care packages provide practical assistance in hygiene products during a transitional state. You can serve this ministry and our community in a number of ways:
- Sew / Crochet / Knit – Help produce comfort blankets for victims of domestic abuse and violent crimes. You can donate a blanket you make on your own or crochet blanket squares using a provided pattern that others will put together to make blankets. Materials and lessons available.
- Assemble hygiene kits – Help assemble hygiene kits for victims and residents at a designated time on a quarterly basis. These kits will be donated to Lori’s Place, with a goal of 12 per month
- Donate – We do not accept monetary donations for this ministry; however, we are always looking for donations of full size and travel size hygiene products for the hygiene kits and yarn for the blankets.
If you would like more information on how to get involved in this ministry, please contact Suzanne Parker at .
Our Labor Projects Ministry is a way for people to serve the physical needs of the community by working alongside others in the church. We desire to identify local needs such as yard work, fence repairs, painting, and other minor construction needs, and supply the manpower and materials to complete these projects for those who cannot on their own. You can serve by:
- assisting in PR in coordinating and identifying needed projects in the community
- providing your construction expertise in project evaluations and leading a team
- show up as needed to complete various labor projects with manpower and any skills, tools or material you might be able to provide
If you would like to be part of this growing ministry in any way or sign up for projects as-needed, please complete the registration form here or contact me at .
If you have any questions or desire to facilitate launching a new outreach ministry through Thunder Mountain, please do not hesitate to let me know! I hope to see some new faces out there serving in these awesome ministry opportunities.